|Theunissen Stadium |
First Game: March 29, 2002 vs. Ohio
♦ Press box with two radio booths
♦ Concession/Souvenir Stand
♦ Keilitz ClubhouseAccessibility
♦ Service animal friendly
Back to Facilities
Make a Donation
|Theunissen Stadium is among the finest collegiate baseball facilities in the country. |
Opened in 2002, the 2,046-seat facility welcomes spectators and players alike with an impressive brick exterior. From there, players enjoy an expansive locker room and clubhouse area and a plush playing surface.
The clubhouse features a lounge with several televisions and photographs depicting former CMU All-Americans and Chippewas who have gone on to play in the major leagues.
Fencing was added to an adjacent diamond beyond the first base stands in 2010, creating a fully-functional practice field. Aesthetic improvements were also made during the 2010 season to the dugouts and facility walls.
Fans soak in the Chippewa game-day atmosphere from seating that hugs the field and provides excellent sight lines of the action. Located behind the backstop are 400 chairback seats, while bleacher-style seating follows the first-base and third-base lines.
A spacious press box, which includes two radio booths, overlooks home plate and assists the local and regional media in their coverage of the Chippewas.
Bullpens are located adjacent to the dugouts and removed from the actual playing surface, while batting cages have been constructed behind the first-base grandstand.
The facility is named for Bill Theunissen, former head coach and Dean of the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation. Theunissen posted a record of 151-114-1 from 1953-62. He concluded his career as CMU’s winningest baseball coach and currently ranks fourth on that list.
The baseball program moved into its new home after playing home games at Alumni Field, located in the heart of campus, for 53 years. Alumni Field, renamed Theunissen Stadium in 1986, played host to the 1984 NCAA Mideast Regional in which CMU finished runner-up. The Theunissen Stadium name was retained when CMU constructed the new facility following the 2001 season.