- The two schools first faced off in football in 1907 and have played annually since 1943.
- In 2008, The Canon Trophy was introduced. A traveling trophy awarded to the winner of the game each year. CMU has held the trophy since winning the inaugural game 38-33 in 2008.
Named the "Maroon Platoon" in 2009, the Central Michigan student section holds roughly 10,000 students for each home game, giving the Chippewas a clear home field advantage.
- The "Go!" Chant
- Following each first down, the students and fans chant "Go!" and signal the direction in which the Chippewas offense is moving down the field.
- "Key" Play
- For each key play of the game, the students and fans shake and rattle their keys in attempts to make enough noise to rattle the opposing team and give the Chippewas an advantage on the field.
- Postgame Celebration
- Following each home win by the CMU football team, fans and players celebrate together by joining at the student section and singing the CMU fight song, lead by a chosen player who directs the CMU Marching Band.
The student section for the basketball programs at CMU is known as the "symbolic sixth man" and provides a intense, enthusiastic game day atmosphere. The Rose Rowdies are sponsored by the CMU Bookstore.
- Toilet Paper Throw
- In the late 1980's, CMU's student section would start each home basketball game by showering Rose Arena with toilet paper following CMU's first basket. This tradition has since been denied as NCAA rules were changed to enforce a technical on CMU if toilet paper was thrown.
Starting in the late 1980's, the Central Michigan University ROTC has been a staple of game day at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. After each score by the Chippewas, the ROTC fires a cannon in the north east corner of the end zone and partakes in pushups, totally CMU's point total.
Starting in 2008, the Central ROTC joined forces with in-state rival Western Michigan to participate in the game ball run. Each year, ROTC members from the visiting school runs the game ball to the home teams city.
"Walk of Champions"
Established in 2009, the "Walk of Champions" was created to add even more to the game day experience for students and community members of CMU and Mount Pleasant. Prior to each game, football players and coaches walk through the Lot 62E tailgate embracing students and fans before entering the stadium.
The Fall World Series
Each year, the CMU baseball team holds an inter squad 7 game "World Series" to conclude fall camp.