CLASH AT COMERICA
Tuesday, April 18 • 7:05 p.m. • Comerica Park • Detroit, Mich. • Radio: WMHW 91.5-FM • Live Stats: cmuchippewas
• The Central Michigan baseball team will play its annual Clash at Comerica in downtown Detroit on Tuesday.
• The opponent this year is Notre Dame. CMU had played Michigan State in the previous six Clashes.
• The Chippewas (19-16) took two of three over the weekend from Western Michigan in a three-game Mid-American Conference series.
• CMU is 8-1 in MAC play and holds a one-game lead over Eastern Michigan in the MAC West.
• Notre Dame is 15-20 and was swept by Wake Forest over the weekend in an Atlantic Coast Conference three-game series. Before that, the Irish had won five straight games.
• This is the first and only meeting between CMU and Notre Dame this season.
• Sophomore right-hander Michael Brettell will start for the Chippewas against Charlie Vorsheck, a junior right-hander. Brettell is 5-1 with a 4.41 earned run average. It is the first start of the season for Vorsheck, (1-0, 5.94).
• The Chippewas are 11-3 in their last 14 games.
• CMU coach Steve Jaksa: “Different opponent, somebody who might draw some different fans. It’ll be a good college baseball game. That’s our thing, you play good opponents, you play at a nice venue, it’s exciting for both teams. Our guys are looking forward to it and I know Notre Dame will. We’ve had some great games down there, and the atmosphere is great. I hope our fans from Mount Pleasant will travel and I hope our fans from the greater Detroit area will come out and watch us play.”