JESSIE OWENS CLASSIC
Friday-Saturday, April 21-22 • Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium • Columbus, Ohio • Twitter: @CMUtrack
• The Central Michigan track & field team will partake this weekend in the prestigious Jesse Owens Classic, one of the biggest meets of the Chippewas’ outdoor schedule, comprising more than 30 teams.
• The field includes Big Ten powers Michigan, Michigan State, and the host Buckeyes, as well as familiar MAC foes Akron, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Eastern Michigan, Kent State, Miami (Ohio) and Western Michigan.
• Central Michigan will send 45 of its top-line athletes to the classic and will enter participants in 29 of the 49 scheduled events. The discus, hammer throw, shot put, and 5,000-meter run will feature both open and championship flights for both genders.
• The women’s hammer throw is the first event on the docket on Friday. CMU’s Kylee Dobbelaere will attempt to make it four straight wins in four consecutive weekends as she will compete in the championship flight of the event. She has had success in Columbus in the past. Her career-best hammer throw of 191 feet came there in 2015.
• On the men’s side, CMU’s Logan Targgart and Dylan Banagis are in for stiff tests as they will both compete in the championship flights for the hammer throw and the discus. Teammate Kevin Weiler is scheduled to throw in the championship flight in the men’s shot put.
• CMU’s Samantha Cuneo will compete in both the women’s 200- and 400-meter dashes, and is also slated to run a leg of the 4x100 relay. Cuneo, a sophomore, is fresh off her first 400 win, which came last weekend at the Oakland Invitational where she clocked her best time of the season, and the second-best of her career. CMU’s Nadia Williams will accompany her in the 200.
• After a runner-up performance last weekend at Oakland in his first action in 2017, CMU’s Ziemowit Dutkiewicz will get another chance to post a top finish in the men’s 400 hurdles. Chippewa freshman John Wixson will join him in the event.
• CMU multi-events athletes April Micheaux, Joe Seghi and Nick Malliaras are scheduled to compete this week in the Kansas Relays. Micheaux will compete in the heptathlon, while Seghi and Malliaras are set to go in the decathlon.