CENTRAL MICHIGAN (28-12, 11-4 MAC) vs. NORTHERN ILLINOIS (21-16, 9-6)
Friday-Saturday, April 21-22 • Margo Jonker Stadium • Mount Pleasant, Mich. • Radio: WMHW 101.1-FM • Live Stats: cmuchippewas.com
• The Central Michigan softball team welcomes Northern Illinois for a three-game Mid-American Conference series this weekend.
• The teams open on Friday at 3 p.m. and conclude with a doubleheader beginning at 1 p.m. on Saturday.
• Between games of Saturday’s doubleheader, the Chippewas will honor the 1987 softball team that placed fifth in the NCAA Women’s College World Series.
• At 11-4 in MAC play, the Chippewas are tied with Ball State for the best overall record in the league. NIU stands two games behind CMU and Ball State in the MAC West.
• The Chippewas outhit Valparaiso, 23-3, on Tuesday in sweeping a nonconference doubleheader, 6-0 and 8-0.
• CMU took two of three last weekend in a three-game MAC series at Toledo. The Chippewas have won all five of their league series this season.
• The Chippewas have won three consecutive games and are 11-3 in their last 14. Since starting the season 1-6, CMU is 27-6.
• NIU took two of three from Western Michigan last weekend and has won five of its last six games. The Huskies have won four of their five league series. Their lone series loss came to Ball State, to which they dropped two of three.
• CMU continues to lead the MAC in both hitting and pitching. The Chippewas’ team batting average is .291, and their earned run average is 1.86.
• CMU pitcher Rachael Knapp leads the MAC with a 1.38 ERA and is tied with Ohio’s Savannah Dorsey for league lead in wins with 16.
• The Chippewas’ Allison Curtis is second in the conference with a .412 batting average, while Lacy Tolfree (.354) ranks eighth.
• Northern Illinois is sixth in the league in hitting with a .275 team batting average, and ranks fifth with a 3.04 team ERA.
• NIU’s Kayti Grable is fourth in the MAC with a .400 batting average. She and teammate Kali Kossakowski are tied for seventh in the league with seven home runs apiece.
• The Chippewas play host to Michigan State in a nonconference game on Wednesday, April 26, and return to MAC play next weekend when they entertain Ball State in a three-game series. The Cardinals play host to Toledo this weekend in a three-game league set.